I remember the each kids first day of school, like it was yesterday. I will admit, I produced velcro kids, they were both so attached to me, until they weren't. The older one, aka, Kid 1 was so helpful when her sister came it was wonderful. Her nurturing side definitely came out. The girls are 28 months apart both born on the 28th. Definitely my lucky number. They are very close to one another. Kid 1 was ready to let go of me a little and start to explore the wonderful world of being more independent big sister. So off she went, into the world of preschool and new friends. Kid 2, was so attached, she would throw herself at the door if I left to get groceries. However when it was time for her to also start preschool, off she went> By Felicia, I swear she said. I think I was the only one of us in tears. Good news was, by the time each started Kindergarten, we and I mean me, was better prepared. I always say when Kid 2 started all day kindergarten, I felt like I hit parole! I had me time, to cook, clean, eat bonbons .... so not. I did slowly reconnect with myself. I started working out again and I started back to my journey of healthier me. By the end of the day, I was happy to pick the girls up and reconnect. We would have a snack and chat. Survival of the chattiness is a real thing in our house!! We would sit, in my bed, the play room, where ever and chat about our days.
The girls are much older now. Kid 1 starts university this September, Kid 2 in grade 11, but I guarantee we will still find time to sit, chill chat and eat.
Kid 1 and Kid 2 fresh back from holidays, we caught up over these and will definitely make them again and again!!
Cherry Granola Bars
recipe from: Jillian Harris
¾ c. coconut oil
¼ c. honey
¼ c. agave syrup
¼ c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. almond extract
½ tsp. sea salt
1 ½ c. large flake rolled oats
¾ c. oat flour
1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
1 c. unsweetened large flaked (ribbon) coconut
1 c. dried sour cherries
½ c. hemp seeds
1 tsp. baking powder
2/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (or vegan chocolate chips)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9×13” baking pan with parchment paper, leaving some paper sticking out of the sides so that you can easily remove the bars from the pan once cooked (you can grease the pan before lining it with parchment to help it stick).
2. In a small saucepan, combine the coconut oil, honey, agave syrup and brown sugar. Cook on low heat until the coconut oil is melted, stirring well to help dissolve the brown sugar. Add the vanilla and set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Add the coconut oil mixture and mix well. Fold in 1/3 of the chocolate chips.
4. Pat the mixture into the prepared pan with your hands: you want to make sure that it is firmly pressed to ensure that the bars will stick together.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and completely cool and press the bars down again before taking the bars out of the pan (this can easily be done by lifting the parchment sides).
6. Melt the remaining 1/3 cup of chocolate in the microwave (at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted). Drizzle the chocolate over the bars and cool. Cut into bars with a large sharp knife.